"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor."

Thoreau

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolution

In keeping with the Thoreauvian philosophy of this blog, I decided to keep my new year's resolution for 2012 as simple as possible, lest I fritter away precious time swimming through details, and in my attempts to pin down what behavioral resolutions and objectives would grant me the greatest elevation of life quality with the least amount of convolution, redundancy, or complexity (which oh so easily derail my fickle interior life and thus keep me from meaningful action), I decided to frame the resolution in "do/don't, black/white, this/not that" terminology.

So, *ahem*, my resolution is to be more feral and less conformed, more productive and less consumptive.

I'm confident such a resolution will consistently point me in the direction of health, happiness, prosperity, and, most importantly, self-reliance; for if there's one thing I've learned in my year and a half long love affair with CrossFit, it's this: use creates capacity, and capacity never lacks opportunity. Even if that "opportunity" is simply a moment to enjoy an achievement--no matter how big or small--that came about through some form of self-discipline, it is still an opportunity I want to have, and I want it day after day, year after year for the whole of my life.

I feel blessed to live in the age of the Internet, where I can so easily turn to find both information and inspiration--countless examples of folks making their own conscious endeavors to better living, and I hope everyone (anyone?, ha) reading finds their own resolve and resolutions that will help put them on a trajectory toward a more fulfilling life.

Happy new year!

1 comment: